I've been spending the week in Salem, upstate NY. It's been a fascinating musical experience that I can't rave about enough! Salem is quite rural, very different from Boston and Atlanta, and we live, rehearse, and coexist for the week on the Brown Farm. Living quarters include a chicken coop, two barns, and a farm house. A grand piano and rehearsal space is situated in the former hay loft of one of the barns. Technology is not so up to date and my iPhone doesn't have service but in a 10 square foot area on the front yard. Internet is spotty.
It's fascinating to immerse yourself in music in such an environment with no distractions. I'm currently surrounded by some of the most fascinating and talented cellists and musicians that I've had the honor to meet. I'm playing a work by John Harbison, Abu Ghraib, which was written for my fantastic teacher, Rhonda Rider to premiere in 2006. It's gritty and contemplative and a joy to play, considering I'm working with the outstanding pianist, Judith Gordon.
Next week is back to Atlanta, going into practice seclusion before Queering the Pitch: music for solo cello recital tour begins on June 27. Check my website for details!
Also, LIKE me on Facebook! Follow me on Twitter!
In the name of the cello,
JD
No comments:
Post a Comment