Thursday, May 10, 2012

Year in Review? Why not...


It feels super cheesy to write a "year-in-review" blog post, but I can't help it! This year has been wonderful for so many reasons!

In March of 2011, in the midst of doctoral degree work and other performances, I decided to finally commence with my performance project that I titled, 'Queering the Pitch'. When I first developed the idea for the series, I thought that it would be a great way to insert myself in to the world of performing musicians. Though it has certainly done just that, it's also forced me to think about prejudices and hatred that so many people - gay, straight; black, white; men, women; liberal, conservative - face everyday. There were some venues that were willing to host me, performing the music that I had chosen, but were not willing to advertise the concert with the title.

Despite a few minor setbacks, I performed the first iteration of 'Queering the Pitch: music for solo cello' twenty-three times in less than twelve months, the first 15 performances happened over a span of three months last summer. The project is now in it's third part (another solo recital with two commissions, featuring a 1993 work by Robert Maggio titled, "Winter Toccata"). MEREDITH MECUM and I are still performing the second part, 'Queering the Pitch: music for soprano and cello', around the country. With three performances down - in State College, PA, Houston, TX, and Athens, GA - we've booked a few more over the next month. When Meredith is back from her European audition/performing adventure in the fall, we will embark on even more concerts with some residencies at different colleges/universities thrown in.

This year was also an incredible year for new-music in my life. I commissioned twelve works from ten composers and have thus far premiered ten of those. 

Instead of writing pages about all of the super-fun things I've been doing since September 2011, I thought I'd make a list (just for funzies, and maybe to brag a little bit, too!):

In the 2011-2012 concert season I…
-Traveled 33,745 cello-related airline miles.
-Flew on different 6 airlines.
-Drove 22 rental cars.
-Slept in 7 different hotel chains/hostels.
-Gave 47 performances…
…44 outside of Athens (my current home).
-Of those, 25 were solo recitals…
…18 quartet concerts…
…4 mixed-instrumentation chamber music concerts (2 more just days away).
-Commissioned 12 new works…
…by 10 different composers
-Gave 10 world premieres.
-Presented 2 collegiate residencies.
-Performed 7 different concert programs made up of 19 different works ranging from Haydn to DIORIO (and everything in between).
-Made my professional debuts in Atlanta, Boston, Houston, Los Angeles, Portland, OR, San Francisco, Seattle, Tampa, and fifteen other cities/towns.

It's been a tremendously busy season, and I'm happy with all that I've accomplished this year. I feel good about my career path, I am pleased with all of the progress I've made (only one more year 'till the DMA!), and I've been lucky enough to make a living playing my cello and collaborating with some really awesome musicians!

When I decided to become a performer so many years ago, I always hoped to be able to set my own course, and thus far I have been able to do that. I hope to continue what I've started and that I can continue to play the music that I like with awesome people. I am so lucky to have the job that I do; I'm able to wake up every morning and create awesome music!

Next year has some exciting developments and concerts. I'll be sure to share them with you as they are confirmed! (HINT: Rococo...ha!)

Till next time…
JD

2 comments:

  1. I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!! And, since I'm also jealous and want to copy all of your success, I vote you write a post on how to afford these things :)
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marketing, marketing, marketing!

    ReplyDelete