Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Where I practice


Recently, I’ve been considering why I practice and how I practice.  This seems to be a semi-annual event, typically near the end of academic semesters or the conclusion of a large project.  Something that I never thought of before, however, was how I can make my time in the practice room more enjoyable for me -- more soothing, even.  There are dozens of resources on how to practice, but very few on where to practice.  I really enjoy looking at peoples’ practice rooms/spaces.  Maybe I’m the only one!  Regardless, I thought I’d type a little bit about the place that I sit six days a week for hours on end.  

Musicianly items
So welcome to my apartment in Athens, GA, a roomy-two bedroom abode that I currently call home. For much the same reason that I don’t want to eat my dinner in bed, I don’t have much desire to practice where I relax.  That said, I’m lucky enough to have a spare room that I am able to devote entirely to practice.  I furnished my practice room with the necessities that every musician needs to practice: a chair and a stand.  Also here is my modest library of music, both parts and scores, in hard copy and digital versions (kept on DVDs).

So much music...and a Dr. Beat
Additionally, I moved in an old IKEA desk that I’ve had since my days as an undergrad living in the dorms. The desk is quite large, and takes up a lot of space in my 11’x12’ practice room.  Over time, I realized that I could slightly modify this desk to suit my practicing needs.  Shown here is the final result: a drafting table styled as a large music stand.  

Balter, Colombo, DiOrio, Oh My!
With this huge table, I’m able to spread my music out (something that is necessary when playing some new music) and keep all of my things (pencils, metronome, tuner, rosin, etc) organized and in one place.  

Diplomas and a Memory shadow box
Adorning the walls of my practice space are various decorative and functional items.  Of course I display my diplomas - one sometimes needs the reassurance that goals can be met when the practicing isn’t going so well - and some concert posters from the past five years of performances.

Traditional practice rooms, the windowless boxes - sometimes soundproof, sometimes not - that adorn the hallways of music schools around the world, are very depressing.  I have never found myself inspired by a practice room.  Certainly, if a musician isn’t inspired, it becomes difficult to practice, and practicing is how we get better.  There are some practice rooms that are more technologically advanced than my humble practice space: Boston University, for example, has practice rooms that record and play back, and can replicate the particular acoustic of different spaces (from a small concert hall to a large airplane hanger).  This isn’t really necessary for me.  Northwestern University has practice rooms that look out over Lake Michigan.  Beautiful view, but drab and boring on the inside.

"Hanging" cello
Besides functioning as a large music stand, my big IKEA desk is a low-tech cello stand as well.  Using some picture wire strung through the holes in the modular desk legs, I fashioned a “cello holder” that allows me to begin practicing less than 30 seconds after I walk in to the room.  Just pick up and go!

Mirror
The most important thing - after the music and the cello - in my practice room are the multitude of mirrors hat I have placed in strategic places around me.  Through these mirrors, I take away the need for a person watching over my posture, bow position, contact point, finger height, etc.  I am now totally accountable for all aspects of my playing.

When it comes to technology, the best part of my practice space is the quick and easy recording device.  Atop my practice desk is my miniature Zoom H2 recorder.  When necessary, I can press the record button, stop when necessary and then listen to the section I just played as it is pumped out over the surround sound system that I use for various purposes.  This eliminates the need for a critical ear during my practice.  Constant analysis of the sound and musical gestures that I produce make for faster, more intelligent practice.

Should I be practicing? Yes.
Also around my practice space are some interesting “funnies” that I’ve come across over the past few years.  Many of them I’ve given to students to encourage them to practice; others are musical keepsakes that I just can’t pack away.  My favorite of these is the flow chart that hangs next to one of my mirrors.  It simply says, “Should you be practicing right now?”  Also hanging on the wall is the cover of my old International edition of the Popper Etudes.  During auditions for graduate school, I spilled a glass of wine on the cover after an unfortunate audition.  The cover subsequently fell off and now hangs in a frame, constantly reminding me that wine is bad and etudes are good...wait, I think that’s backward!

So this is my practice room. There is where I sit and get better at what I do.  This is where the music that I love comes alive and hopefully becomes a work of art.  I’d love to see where everyone else practices - or composes - and what things are similar to my space and what are very different!  Below is a quick video tour of my practice room and a few more photos!




Another view of the "hanging" cello
Practicing Commandments
I can't practice without tea!!
Daily Practice Schedule Cards


1 comment:

  1. I'm practicing at school now, but my all time favorite I-wish-I-was-still-there practice space was in my old apartment. Photos here:
    http://www.insideways.com/2011/08/my-perfect-cello-studio.html

    ReplyDelete